GENE SIMMONS AND TOMMY LEE SLAM RIHANNA FOR LIP-SYNCING

March 22, 2012, 10:19 am Billy Johnson, Jr. Yahoo!7 Music

A press conference to announce KISS and Motley Crue's 40-date co-headlining North American summer tour turned into a Rihanna diss session Tuesday.

Rating:

Related Video: Rihanna's Dad thought she was fat

Outspoken KISS bassist Gene Simmons stressed that the bands' sets would be live, unlike Rihanna's stage show."We're sick and tired of girls getting up there with dancers and karaoke tapes in back of them," Simmons said, according to Billboard. "No karaoke singers allowed. No fake bullsh-t. Leave that to Rihanna-Schimianna and everybody else whose name ends with an 'A.'"

Gene Simmons from Kiss has some strong words about "karaoke" singers. Credit: Getty Images

After the press conference, Motley Crue's Tommy Lee supported Simmons's statements. "No disrespect to Rihanna, she's a great singer, but we're in a slump for some sh-t that has some personality and appeal beyond a bunch of pop stuff that's floating around out there," he said. "I'm glad he said that actually because I don't think I can bear watching another f—king award show that is just a little better than 'American Idol.' It's f—king pathetic to watch people go out and f—king karaoke with a bunch of lights and video. It's all completely watered down."

Kiss (L) and Motley Crue (R) announcing their co-headlining tour this week. Credit: Getty Images

Simmons has been outspoken about lip-syncing. When it was announced that Madonna would perform during halftime at Super Bowl XLVI, he expressed his disappointment."I love all karaoke singers," he told TMZ. "I like all the girl singers who get up and sing with tapes. Shame on you."Simmons described lip-syncing as dishonest. "I don't care what your music is, have some integrity, be real, or full disclosure before the fact," he said. "Hold up a sign that says, '70 percent of what you hear is fake. It's a tape. I'm a karaoke singer.'"A spokesperson for Rihanna has not yet responded to Yahoo! Music's request for comment.Billy Johnson, Jr. writes for Yahoo! Music

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

45 Comments

1. Brett06:54pm Thursday 03rd May 2012 ESTReport Abuse

And you really think that the likes of all the grossly over rated female singers with mega shows to hide the fact that they really can't do it live is worth the ticket price? you're an idiot.

2. Felix Dinnerplate11:42am Thursday 12th April 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Oh Gene. Does he feel the same way about the illusion a wig provides? (Maybe his band mates are a bit close to home.) Lip-syncing is an indictment on those acts who do it, but someone with Gene's career and success shouldn't feel the need to be so obnoxious.

3. CaseyM09:02am Friday 23rd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hate away haters! Re-re is not my fav. (kinda annoying) so don't get me wrong. However, Rhianna is making hella more cash than the "Talentgasm" that is horrible, solo guitar, 80's garbage (thank god grunge saved us from that crap). If it was easy then why aren't we all rich off of music? She is just providing a service that a bunch of horny teens want and KISS can no longer provide.

4. Kerry05:21pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

haveing seen kiss many times here in australia i can say that kiss have done it all and drug free that fuc#ing dog should be put down for even trying to say she can sing and sorry to all dog owners compareing dogs to her

5. Emma05:18pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Haha this is great! Good on you Gene, I wish we had some up-and-coming real musicians with your integrity, but unfortunately it seems that might've ended with your generation.

6. Kerry-Lee04:11pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Woohooo, someone finally know what I have been right about all along - Rhianna is a pathetic excuse for entertainment.

7. Jamie03:51pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I keep on saying it. How is it that they are able to make money? More power to you Gene. I grew up with 70's and 80's rock, and still to this day, it stomps all over the music we have to endure on a daily basis. Pink is another one. Every second song on Tripe M these days is one of her songs. It drives me nuts. Every-single-time I put on the radio, no matter what time of day, there is Pink, or she comes up after the next song that is on. Thank goodness they don't play this woman. Give me the Doug Mulray Triple M radio show from the good ol' days. So over this dance crap.

8. 4boys03:30pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

She's only famous because she is explicit! Don't tahe your young vulnerable kids to see her. Is that the way you want your daughters to act!!

9. Randy B03:13pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I'm an international vocal coach, having worled with pro singers in Aust, Canada, Asia and the US and I'd have to say that Gene is spot on. Rihanna is a very average karaoke singer but she was prepared to do whatever it took to get a career as a singer. Thats why Chris Brown was so upset with her, she did whatever it took even though she had a boyfirend.

10. karl03:11pm Thursday 22nd March 2012 ESTReport Abuse

thats nothin,,,Obama lip sync's speeches all the time,by using pre recorded speeches,,and just move's his lips,,he was caught out once badly durying a health care speech,,the speech continues but his mouth is closed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Get Social

Latest Galleries

9 MUST-SEE AC/DC PHOTOS

We take a look back at some of the most iconic and intriguing images of the members of...

LAW-BREAKING MUSICIANS

Being a rockstar certainly has it's perks: fame, fortune and the ability to get away with...